Friday, March 18, 2011

Babylon

I am currently doing a study on the book of Daniel by Beth Moore. I just love her bible studies and would recommend them to anyone who wants to follow a study that's more structured. I am a few weeks in but one of the firsts days of this study caught my attention.  She writes:

"Her name is Babylon. Through the paintbrush of Scripture, we'll see her rise from the dust, robe herself in riches, and paint her face like a woman of the night. Make no mistake: she aims to seduce. Posing as the beautiful life, she morphs into the current image of what every worldly man and woman wants to be ~ deserves to be. She is popular. She is desirable . She is intoxicating. And did I say that she is religious. Ah, yes. She believes in so much of everything that one would be hard-pressed to tell if she believes in anything. To worship self is to worship her." -Beth Moore

Replace Babylon with America and this paragraph still makes sense. Now don't get me wrong. I am very grateful to be an American. I love our country and what it used to stand for. What the founding fathers stood for. But modern day America is much different. This is not going to be an un-patriotic post, believe me. It's about what I have bought into.

I have bought into her lies, her beauty, her deceit. I have believed at times if I just had more, did more, played the part better my life would be grand. I have pursued the American Dream and lost my way more than a time our two. Jesus says, "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46. Discovering God's kingdom is like stumbling across hidden treasure or finding the one pearl of great price.  When we discover the kingdom of God we receive the greatest possible treasure -- the Lord himself.  There are a lot of things that can try and outshine or steal our attention away from the Lord, we will call these "false pearls". Satan has rejoiced in the very fact that I have pursued these false pearls so to speak.  What false pearls have you bought into? Did you sell everything, give up everything? Did you give up who you are to get these "pearls"?  I have been fed the lies over and over again willingly. I have longed to be prettier, smarter, or skinnier and desired, at times, these above a longing for my heavenly Father. A lot of this life I have spent looking in the mirror ,when in fact, if I would have just looked to our Creator I would find joy. Layer by layer God has been transforming my mind about these things. This life is NOT about me. It is about God. It is about serving Him and His people. Loving Him and His people. About recognizing the poison the enemy has to offer and rebuking it. To love Christ is to die to self.
Lord, please help me learn how to take up my cross daily and follow you. Please let my mind be on the things of Your kingdom. To consume my thoughts with You and Your glory. In your son's name, Amen.

*image from weheartit.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to this playlist: the johnsons


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones