Friday, May 20, 2011

DIY: Laundry Soap

I received this mason jar of home-made laundry soap from a sweet friend of mine as a gift. I was skeptical at first because we use Tide and I was unsure of how well it would clean our clothes. Oh well, I thought,what's it gonna hurt? I will give it a try. I did and it worked. Our clothes have that clean clothes smell to them as well. I am very excited to make this and use it for our clothes (mine and the children's). Joel's clothes get super dirty because of his occupation so I will use this plus a little tide. At a little over $3.00 a bucket to make why not! :) So here is the recipe to the do it yourself laundry soap. You will be quite the little laundress! :)

Ingredients:
1 bar Fels-Naptha (heavy duty laundry bar soap)
1 cup Borax (natural bounty) (box)
1 cup of Arm & Hammer (super washing soda) (box)

Directions:
1. Grate the bar of Fels-Naptha
2. In a pan 1 qt or more water- to dissolve the grated bar- boil until dissolved.
3. Pour mixture into 5 gallon bucket.
4. Add the powder ingredients (i.e. 1 cup borax, 1 cup arm & hammer)
5. Stir
6. Add watter to fill the 5 gal bucket full. Stir well.
7. Let set for 24 hours.
8. Stir when ready to use.
9. Make sure to shake each time you use, as mixture will become thick.

Yields: 5 gallons of Laundry Soap

Enjoy your weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to this playlist: the johnsons


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones